Do you need help removing the “Your Computer Has Been Locked” virus?
Has your computer been infected with the “Your Computer Has Been Locked” virus? if you’ve seen a window pop up on your computer with an official looking FBI logo and some text telling you that your computer has been locked by the FBI, but you can pay a small fee to unlock it – don’t worry. Your computer has indeed been infected with the FBI scam virus, but you don’t need to pay anyone to unlock it, you just need to follow a few simple steps! Keep on reading for the simple how-to fix.
How to remove the “Your Computer Has Been Locked” virus from your computer…
There is currently a virus circulating online that has been scaring a lot of people into paying fees and fines they don’t actually owe.
The FBI scam virus works by scaring you into believing that your computer has been locked by the FBI due to some illegally downloaded music or movies, or some other false claim. There are a few different variations of this scam floating around, but one thing that they have in common is that they offer you to unlock your computer again by paying a small fine.
This scam looks fairly official, using FBI logos, McAfee security logos, and even tricky legal language, but don’t let all of this fool you – it’s still a scam.
On the bright side, the FBI virus isn’t much more than a sneaky attempt at scaring you into paying cyber criminals a couple of hundreds dollars for no good reason, and so you don’t necessarily need to worry about the safety of your personal information, but either way – the FBI virus, just like any other virus you might encounter should be removed as quickly as possible in order to minimize any ill effects.
Removing the “Your Computer Has Been Locked” virus
So now that you know what this FBI scam is all about, and you feel a little less nervous that the FBI is watching you, let’s remove the virus from your computer.
In order to complete this process, you will need to have an anti-malware program, such as Malwarebytes, installed on your computer. If you hadn’t already installed Malwarebytes on your computer before it became infected with the ‘Your Computer Has Been Locked’ virus, you can install in during step 3 of the process below.
To remove the “Your Computer Has Been Locked” virus:
- Start your computer in Safe Mode. If you aren’t sure how to do this, you can read my tutorial here.
- When you see the black and white screen asking you to select a Windows Advanced Option, choose ‘Safe Mode with Networking’
- After your computer finishes loading into safe mode, open Malwarebytes. If you don’t already have Malwarebytes installed on your infected computer, you can download it now by visiting their website, www.malwarebytes.org and choosing the free download option.
- Once you have Malwarebytes open, running, and up to date – perform a full scan of your computer.
- After the scan completes, you should have successfully identified the malicious files responsible for the FBI scam virus. Using Malwarebytes, follow the prompts and remove those malicious files from your computer.
- After Malwarebytes quarantines and removes the files from your computer, reboot your computer, and now you should be able to logon normally with no issues of false threats from the FBI.
An important note about anti-virus protection….
While It is typically possible to recover from most computer viruses, you are obviously much better off not having to deal with them in the first place. To help protect yourself from computer viruses and malware like the FBI scam in the future, I personally recommend using Kaspersky’s Anti-Virus software. They offer solutions for any computer setup, PC or Mac, and have always had an excellent track record of protection. If you’d like more information about Kaspersky, you can either read my review of their Anti-Virus software, or view their anti-virus product lineup.
With that being said, it is vitally important to understand that there is NO anti-virus software on the planet that can truly guarantee you 100% protection from viruses and bugs. Like it or not, this is a fact of life if you use a computer. Always take proper precautions when opening files or emails from people you don’t know, and if you aren’t sure what you are clicking on when browsing the internet – don’t click on it!
Was this Tech Help Made Easy article on how to remove the “Your Computer Has Been Locked” virus helpful?
If you found this Tech Help Made Easy article to be helpful to you in answering your questions, please let me know by rating it using the five stars at the beginning of the article, or by leaving a comment below. If this article did not help you find the answer you were looking for, than please leave a comment, or send me an e-mail for further help, and I will be happy to assist you further!
– By Jim Sabellico